One Dead, More Than 170 Buildings Damaged After Massive Fire Sweeps Through Oita City

A major fire in Oita City, Japan, has left one person dead and damaged more than 170 buildings. Firefighters, SDF personnel and local authorities continue containment efforts.

Author Picture
Published On: Wed, Nov 19, 2025 at 08:26 PM
Fire crews working to control a large fire that destroyed buildings in Oita City, Japan.
Firefighters battle a massive blaze in Oita City that damaged more than 170 buildings and prompted large-scale evacuations.

Tokyo: A widespread fire that broke out in a crowded residential district of Oita City has left one person dead and caused damage to more than 170 buildings, local authorities said on Wednesday.

The blaze began Tuesday afternoon in the Saganoseki port district and continued burning for over 12 hours as firefighters worked to bring it under control. At one point, nearly 180 residents were evacuated as flames spread rapidly across approximately 48,900 square meters, including surrounding forested areas.

Police confirmed on Wednesday that a body was recovered from the site and said they are working to identify whether it belongs to a 76-year-old man who remains missing, according to Japan-based Kyodo News.

In response to the scale of the disaster, the Oita prefectural government requested assistance from the Self-Defence Forces, who joined the firefighting and information-gathering operations. Despite the destruction, Oita Mayor Shinya Adachi told reporters he does not expect the fire to cause further damage.

Prefectural senior official Shogo Fujikawa noted that smoke was diminishing and that efforts were moving toward containment, while urging caution against drawing premature conclusions.

Authorities received the first report of the fire around 5:45 p.m. on Tuesday. The Japan Meteorological Agency’s regional office said a strong wind advisory had been issued earlier in the day, conditions that may have contributed to the fire’s rapid spread.

The central government set up a liaison centre at the Prime Minister’s Office to gather updates on the incident. Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi pledged full government support and expressed appreciation for the firefighters, police, Self-Defence Forces and local officials managing the response.

In a statement posted on X, Takaichi said the government was working closely with regional authorities and had dispatched personnel from the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, as well as SDF helicopters for aerial firefighting. She extended condolences to evacuees facing cold conditions and expressed hope for the safety of the missing individual.

Growing India stands as a major voice across the nation, committed to providing comprehensive and impactful journalism. Registered with the Press Registrar General of India. We serve six states with nine editions, published from: Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Udaipur, New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Chandigarh, and Bhopal.

Leave a Comment

Home
For You
Shorts
Web Stories
E-Paper