Patna: AYUSH doctor Nusrat Parveen will resume her official duties on December 20, Bihar government officials confirmed on Friday, amid ongoing controversy surrounding a hijab-related incident involving Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. The clarification was issued following speculation that Parveen had refused to join service after an episode during an appointment letter distribution ceremony.
Dr Mahfoozur Rahman, Principal of the Government Tibbi College and Hospital, said he personally verified the matter after reports surfaced suggesting that Parveen was reluctant to take up her post. According to Rahman, he spoke with Parveen’s husband, her relatives, and former classmates, all of whom confirmed that she would be reporting for duty as scheduled.
The controversy arose during an official programme where appointment letters were being distributed to newly selected candidates. During the event, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar questioned Parveen’s attire on stage and removed her naqab (veil), an action that was captured on video and circulated widely. The incident quickly drew criticism from various quarters and triggered a political backlash.
Following the episode, social media platforms and political circles saw intense debate, with several Opposition parties and organisations accusing the state government of disrespecting religious dignity and violating personal freedom. Critics argued that the incident reflected insensitivity toward individual choice and religious expression.
Protests were reported from different parts of the country in response to the incident, as the issue gained national attention. Demonstrators and political leaders called for accountability and demanded assurances that such incidents would not be repeated.
Addressing the controversy, Bihar minister Dilip Jaiswal dismissed the allegations against the government, describing the issue as unnecessary and unfounded. He said the matter was being exaggerated and should not be politicised further.
Meanwhile, the episode also had security implications. Following the incident, a threat linked to the controversy was received against the Chief Minister. Police officials confirmed that an investigation has been initiated to trace the source of the threat and assess its seriousness. Security arrangements were reviewed as a precautionary measure, officials said.
Despite the political and public reaction, government officials reiterated that the appointment process involving Parveen remains unaffected. They emphasised that she continues to be part of the state’s AYUSH services and is expected to join duty as per schedule.
The clarification by the Government Tibbi College and Hospital was aimed at dispelling rumours that Parveen had chosen not to accept her posting due to the incident. Officials said there had been no formal communication from her indicating any such decision.
The issue continues to be debated in political circles, with Opposition leaders maintaining pressure on the government over questions of personal liberty and respect for religious identity. At the same time, the state administration has maintained that the controversy should not distract from governance or the functioning of public institutions.
As the matter unfolds, Parveen’s return to duty on December 20 is expected to mark a formal continuation of her professional responsibilities, even as the broader political debate surrounding the incident remains unresolved.












