US Commander Says 20,000 Soldiers, 12,000 Police Planned for Gaza Under Stabilisation Force

Author Picture
Published On: Fri, Feb 20, 2026 at 11:47 AM

Washington: The commander of the newly established International Stabilization Force (ISF) under a Gaza peace agreement has said the mission will ultimately consist of 20,000 soldiers operating in coordination with 12,000 Palestinian police personnel in the Gaza Strip.

Jasper Jeffers, who is leading the force, outlined the plan during the inaugural meeting of the US-proposed Board of Peace. According to reports carried by Xinhua news agency, Jeffers stated that training for both the ISF troops and the Palestinian police force would be conducted in Egypt and Jordan.

The ISF is being formed as part of efforts linked to a Gaza peace deal. Jeffers said that several governments have committed personnel to the mission. Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan and Albania, along with the Kosovo authorities, have pledged troops to participate in the stabilisation force. However, the US major general did not disclose how many troops each contributor has committed, nor did he provide a timeline for deployment to Gaza.

At the same meeting, US President Donald Trump said that nine countries have pledged financial support for Gaza relief efforts. According to Trump, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait have collectively committed $7 billion.

The pledged amount falls short of the estimated $70 billion considered necessary for the reconstruction of Gaza. The funding commitments were announced as part of discussions on relief and recovery efforts for the region.

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly stated that reconstruction of the Gaza Strip would not proceed prior to the demilitarisation of Hamas. He made the remarks during a graduation ceremony for officers of the Israel Defense Forces.

The Board of Peace, under which the ISF is being organised, was formally launched by President Trump last month in Davos, Switzerland. The initiative is being led by the United States and is intended to support stabilisation and recovery efforts in Gaza.

However, the US-led group has encountered reservations from several quarters. Some countries have expressed concerns that the Board of Peace could duplicate or undermine the role of the United Nations in conflict resolution and peacekeeping efforts.

European Council President Antonio Costa voiced serious doubts regarding various aspects of the Board of Peace. He questioned its scope, governance structure and compatibility with the principles of the UN Charter.

Despite these concerns, the formation of the ISF and the pledges of both troops and financial assistance mark a step in the ongoing diplomatic and security discussions surrounding Gaza’s future. Further details regarding the structure of the force, operational plans and timelines are yet to be announced.

The international response to the initiative continues to evolve as governments assess the implications of the stabilisation plan and the broader reconstruction effort for Gaza.

Growing India stands as a major voice across the nation, committed to providing comprehensive and impactful journalism. Registered with the Press Registrar General of India. We serve six states with nine editions, published from: Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Udaipur, New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Chandigarh, and Bhopal.

Leave a Comment

Home
For You
Shorts
Web Stories
E-Paper